Emmy Successful HBO Authentic Docuseries 100 FOOT WAVE Returns For Its Second Season April 16
Massive Wave Surfers Face Their Fears For The Probability To Expertise Life-Defining Swells
- The second season of the Emmy®-winning HBO Authentic six-part docuseries 100 FOOT WAVE, directed and government produced by award-winning filmmaker Chris Smith (HBO’s “Branson”) and government produced by Emmy®, Golden Globe®, and Tony® winner Joe Lewis (“Fleabag”), debuts SUNDAY, APRIL 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT) with new episodes premiering subsequent Sundays on the similar time on HBO and out there to stream on HBO Max. Ryan Heller, Michael Bloom and Maria Zuckerman additionally function government producers for Matter Studios.
- Synopsis: 100 FOOT WAVE returns to Nazaré, Portugal—with stops in Hawaii and California—for a heart-pounding and adrenaline-filled second season following massive wave legend Garrett McNamara, his world-class browsing friends, and a few stunning newcomers as they proceed to push the boundaries of their sport and the bounds of their minds and our bodies. As a lot a narrative of non-public relationships, longing, worry, and love, the sequence spans the ‘20/‘21 and ‘21/‘22 massive wave seasons which started with the uncertainties of life beneath COVID-19 and ended with a number of the largest swells of the surfers’ careers. The one fixed for these excessive athletes is contending with the highs and lows of their perilous and unpredictable life-style by which each massive wave has the potential to put in writing a dramatic new chapter of their private tales. With a mixture of intimate interviews, verité scenes and private archive, in addition to gorgeous aerial, water-based and underwater footage from the Emmy®-winning cinematography workforce, the sequence captures a world not like another.
- A decade after McNamara conquered his first record-breaking wave in 2011, the small coastal city of Nazaré, with its dramatic cliffs and epic offshore breaks, continues to draw the perfect massive wave surfers on the earth, who depend on the highly effective however detached ocean to assist them understand their goals whereas avoiding mortal harm. McNamara, anticipating the beginning of his third little one with spouse Nicole — which proves to be its personal surprising problem — embraces a brand new route in his profession whereas nonetheless heeding the pull of the ocean. The season reunites us with the charismatic surfers we’ve come to know from season one, together with Andrew “Cotty” Cotton, Justine Dupont, and CJ Macias, and introduces us to dynamic new gamers, equivalent to native teenager Tony Laureano who tries to interrupt into the higher echelons of the game. United of their ardour to push previous near-death experiences and self-doubt in pursuit of the elusive transcendence, the surfers really feel on the top of their achievement.
Chapter I: “Epsilon”
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 16 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Firstly of the brand new massive wave season in October 2020, Hurricane Epsilon brings big swells to Nazaré and the most important names in browsing congregate to battle for the most important wave, together with Garrett, McNamara, Andrew “Cotty” Cotton, Justine Dupont, and teen Tony Laureano. As hundreds of spectators line the cliffs, the waters turn out to be dangerously choked with surfers and jet skis.
Chapter II: “The Circus is Burning”
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 23 (8:00-9:00 ET/PT)
Portugal’s Nationwide Well being Fee closes down all browsing on account of Covid protocols, stranding the surfers for a number of weeks. Ramon Laureano, Tony’s father and tow accomplice, watches his son evolve as an enormous wave surfer. Garrett McNamara leaves city as he and others cope with their incapability to surf waves in Nazaré.
Chapter III: “Jaws”
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 30 (8:00-9:00 ET/PT)
Justine Dupont chases a swell within the Pacific at Mavericks, after which at Jaws in Hawaii, the place three years earlier she suffered the most important harm of her profession. Returning to Maui, Dupont faces her fears and surprises even herself. Garrett McNamara’s brother-in-law C.J. Macias and celebrity Kai Lenny even have profitable runs at Jaws, whereas McNamara shouldn’t be so fortunate.
Chapter IV: “Companions”
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 7 (8:00-9:00. ET/PT)
Within the fall of 2021 and the beginning of the brand new massive wave season, Garrett McNamara is now the director of the World Surf League’s Tow Browsing Problem in Nazaré, however eight-month pregnant Nicole McNamara and their younger kids fall ailing with COVID-19, complicating his preparations and the plans for the beginning. When the competitors begins in December, Tony Laureano isn’t invited to take part with the perfect in school. For the surfers competing, difficult situations and terrifying wipeouts spotlight the significance of their relationships with jet ski pilots who’re additionally rescuers. Nicole McNamara offers beginning to child Fé.
Chapter V: “Misplaced At Sea”
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 14 (8:00-9:00. ET/PT)
The massive swells at Nazaré proceed to problem and confound the perfect surfers on the earth, and several other dramatic rescues happen near the perilous rocks. On the Gigantes De Nazaré occasion in January 2022, a number of wipeouts and shut calls threaten lives, as hazard is narrowly averted by acts of heroism and power. Nicole McNamara’s brother, C.J. Macias, catches an infinite wave, however then catastrophe strikes.
Chapter VI: “Power Majeure”
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 21 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Within the aftermath of his accident, C.J. Macias contemplates his relationship with massive wave browsing, as does Andrew “Cotty” Cotton. Whereas Cotty locations within the second WSL contest of the season, Tony Laureano lastly will get the chance to compete as Justine Dupont’s accomplice. Outcomes are disappointing for the duo, however Laureano will get one other likelihood to shine in Spain. Garrett McNamara takes his six-year-old son Barrel into the waves at Nazaré for the primary time, whereas nonetheless chasing his dream of the 100 foot wave.
- Featured Individuals: Topics embrace surfers Garrett McNamara, his spouse Nicole McNamara and their kids; Andrew “Cotty” Cotton, Justine Dupont, Fred Davis, C.J. Macias. Antonio “Tony” Laureano, Kai Lenny, Lucas “Chumbo” Chianca, Ian Cosenza, Michelle Des Bouillons, Alemao De Maresias, Nic Van Rupp, Pedro “Scooby” Vianna.
- Season two of 100 FOOT WAVE will even obtain an official companion podcast hosted by Nicole McNamara, who will sit down with the forged and crew to debate matters related to every episode, offering listeners with one other look contained in the world of huge wave browsing. Premiering in tandem with the present on Sunday, April 16, the 100 Foot Wave Podcast is co-produced by HBO and Matter Studios and can launch new episodes every Sunday.
- Credit: HBO Documentary Movies presents 100 FOOT WAVE, a manufacturing of Matter Studios, Library Movies and Amplify Photos. Directed by Chris Smith; government producers, Chris Smith, Joe Lewis, Ryan Heller, Michael Bloom and Maria Zuckerman. For HBO: government producers, Nancy Abraham, Lisa Heller, and Bentley Weiner.